Diploma in Education (Early Childhood Education)
The idea of Early Childhood Education (ECE) is a wide one and goes outside mere provision of education to children. It covers the provision for social, health and psychological needs of a child in totality. In view of the changing social, economic and psychological aspects in societies coupled with increasing numbers of children and less parental/guardian availability; need for an all encompassing ECE cannot be stressed enough. The ECE program is therefore precisely intended to address this need by using an integrated approach to produce ECE personnel who are all round people able to play the role of a teacher and parent/guardian.
- To equip the learner with knowledge and skills in developing and utilizing ECE instructional materials and strategies for ECE programs.
- To enable the learner understand the philosophical, sociological, historical and psychological perspective in ECE.
- To enable the learner acquire knowledge and skills and administration and management of ECE programmes.
- To equip the learner with knowledge, skills and attitudes in the provision of health, nutrition and care for young children.
- To enable the learner understand how children grow and develop from conception to adolescence.
1 academic year (Three Semesters)
Trainees enrolling for Pre-service/In-service course should have ANY ONE of the following minimum requirements:
- A DICECE or Kindergarten Headmistress Association or Montessori certificate with at least D+ in KCSE or its equivalent
- P1 certificate
- A minimum of KCSE Grade C plain or its equivalent